Q:  What should my student bring to camp?
A:  There is a list of instrument/individual camp-specific items to bring in your camp letter. In terms of personal items, students should bring:

Bedding (either a sleeping bag or bedding to fit a twin mattress)
Casual clothing
A nice outfit for the concert at the end of the week
Bathing suit and towel

Shower Shoes (Flip Flops)

Students may NOT bring mini-fridges to camp.

Q:  What is the refund policy?
A:  All cancellations must be made in writing and received 3 weeks in advance of the start of camp. A $50.00 processing fee will be deducted from your refund. No other refunds will be provided without 3 weeks notice.

Q:  Are my tickets for a paid performance refundable?
A:  No.  Tickets for paid events are non-refundable. 

Q: How soon can I expect my refund from the SLAC?
A: All refunds are processed at the END of the camp season!

Q: What kinds of activities outside of classes are available for my student?
A: LOTS! Our counselors organize many activities such as ultimate Frisbee, kickball, a camp dance, bonfires, ping-pong tournaments, pool tournaments, swimming, and many others! Students are welcome to participate in these activities, and we encourage them to also come out with their own ideas, which the counselors are happy to help arrange. Students are welcome to swim in Shell Lake from 3:30-5:00pm every day, where they are supervised by the city's lifeguards as well as a counselor. Our staff is fully certified in first aid and CPR by the American Heart Association and pass background checks prior to employment with the Shell Lake Arts Center.

Q: How are the students housed? What about roommates?
A: There are two dormitory buildings located just down the hill from the main facility: the West and East dorms. We also have the Middle Dorm, located in the East building, for overflow. Boys are housed in one building, and girls in the other.

Students are roomed according to age and gender. Four campers are in each room; if there is not a request made for a roommate, students are roomed randomly according to the aforementioned information.

Q: My student is a lifeguard at home. Can they go swimming without the supervision of a counselor and lifeguard?
A: No. No students are permitted under any circumstances to be in the water without the supervision of both a counselor and lifeguard.

Q: We have an event that we cannot leave until after the Sunday check-in time. How will my student check in to camp and complete their audition?
A: In these kinds of circumstances, it is no problem for us to check in your student whenever you are able to arrive at camp. Just come into the office entrance of the Center, and one of our staff will assist you and escort you to the dormitories. If an audition is needed at your camp session, the faculty member will be notified of your schedule and will be contacted upon your arrival to complete the audition

Q: My son/daughter is 12 years old and is pretty nervous about having roommates and using camp showers. What should I tell them?
A: Roommates are all organized by age and gender. We never room, for example, a 12 year old and an 18 year old together unless requested; if your student is 12 years old, he/she will be roomed with students of similar age (typically other 12 and 13 year olds). Showers in the dorms are separate; there are individual shower stalls with curtains, giving every student the privacy they deserve.

Q: I noticed that students must be 14 or older to self-medicate. My child is diabetic and needs to administer her own insulin; is this permissible?
A: Absolutely.

Q: My child is 16 years of age and has his driver's license; is he allowed to use his vehicle at camp?
A: No. All keys will be collected at the beginning of camp and locked in our safe, and redistributed to the students at the end of camp.

Q: How much money should I send to camp with my student?
A: Students really do not need any money unless they plan to go into town and purchase snacks during the week. $20.00 should be more than sufficient for the entire week. If your student wishes to purchase a camp souvenir, he/she can do so after the final concert in our camp store.

Q: Can I combine Shell Lake Arts Center special offers and Shell Lake Arts Center Scholarships?
A: Shell Lake Arts Center Scholarships may not be combined with other SLAC offers or scholarships!  Not Valid for Commuter Campers.  Not Redeemable for cash or other refund even if scholarship results in an overpayment.

Q: I am a resident of Shell Lake or the surrounding area and wish to have my student commute from home. Is this a possibility?
A: Yes. Please call our office at 715-468-2414 or email info@shelllakeartscenter.org for details about tuition and instructions on registration and daily check-in.

2020 Commuter Prices    Please note: Scholarships from SLAC can only be used for non-commuter rate.
$520 on or before March 1, 2019
After March 1, commuter tuition price is $545.

Q: I am a senior in high school this year. Can I still attend camp after I graduate?
A: Yes! High school seniors may attend camp the summer after they graduate. After that summer, we encourage students to attend one of our adult music workshops.  If a student feels so inclined, after they complete one year of college they may apply to be a counselor during the summer.  

Q: I am a participant in one of the adult weekend music workshops and do not wish to stay in the dorms. What other options are available to me?

A: Click below to see all your lodging options on the Washburn County website! 


Q: I am in need of transportation to and from the airport. Is this available?
A: Yes. We are happy to transport you to and from the airport; please call to arrange pick up/drop off. Once your flight reservations are made, please send a copy of your flight plans to the Arts Center. There is a $125 fee for a round-trip airport transport.

Q: I have a scholarship from the Shell Lake Arts Center.  What do I need to know?
A: If you have received a Shell Lake Arts Center scholarship, we must receive the physical copy of that scholarship before the expiration date that is printed on the certificate.  You can mail it, fax it, or scan and email it to the Arts Center.  Scholarships will not be honored without a copy of the certificate.  

In order for a scholarship to be honored, you must be registered with a downpayment before the expiration date on the scholarship certificate.  Again, we must receive the physical copy of that scholarship certificate before the expiration date that is printed on the certificate.

Participants are admitted without regard to race, color, national origin, age, or handicap.

Shell Lake Arts Center is an inclusive organization, and we accept all artists and musicians.